· Private Messages
· Search
· Statistics
· Your Account

Total Hits

We received
page views since 2007 09 03

AdTwr2

My70sRadio :: View topic - Help! Can't Logon! Logon goes to a blank page.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Can't Logon! Logon goes to a blank page.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Help, FAQ, and Donation Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2012 01 31 - 10:11 am    Post subject: Help! Can't Logon! Logon goes to a blank page. Reply with quote

Help! Can't Logon! Logon goes to a blank page.

A recent change in server configuration at the company that hosts our web pages has caused a couple of problems. One of them (request page stopped working) I was able to resolve by rewriting some web pages. The other one, however, is not that simple.

If you have tried to log onto the Chat system (or to post in the forums), you may have received a blank screen after submitting your logon information. Chances are that you are using Firefox or Chrome as your browser -- I've not heard from users of other browsers (opera, safari, etc.) yet.

Fortunately the forum logon issue is not affected in Internet Explorer (IE). The easiest option for not having the issue is to just use the My70sRadio site in IE.

But for many of us, we prefer something different. All of my bookmarks are neatly organized in Firefox (and synchronized with all of my PCs and laptops). I use IE regularly for a number of things, but I prefer My70s in Firefox. I have a couple dozen links for administering the station that I prefer to leave in Firefox and not in IE. There are a number of solutions available. Please make sure to keep your version of IE up to date with the latest fixes for security.

Firefox:
The 1st one, IE-View, is my 1st choice because it requires less fussing with when launching the Undocked Chat. A simple click on the "Chat with us..." link on the main page and it automatically launches Internet Explorer as a separate app. From there, logon and launch the Undocked Chat, and I can close the big IE window.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-view/
However, this works only in Firefox for now -- no Chrome version.
After installation, go to Add-Ons, then choose IE-View Options. ADD this link to the Always-in-IE sites list: " my70sradio.com/forums " and save it. From then on, clicking on links for forum and chat will start IE for you.

Firefox & Chrome:
The next one, IE-Tab V2, is nearly the same as the first one, and it works in Firefox and in Chrome, but is meant to launch IE in a TAB in your browser instead of a new window. The problem with this is when you go to use Undocked Chat. It opens that as a full sized tab instead of the slim popup you are use to. You can force it to open as a new window, but it requires you to right-click the link and select the "Open Link in Ext. App." menu option.
http://www.ietab.net/
After installation and restarting, you can set My70s Radio forum to automatically run IE in a new tab by adding " my70sradio.com/forums/* " to the Sites Filter in IE Tab 2 Options.

You may already have your own favorite IE switching add-on. Please feel free to share them with us here.

I'm hoping that this will go away some day and that the forums will be usable in other browsers again. My guess is that someone at the server company or the forum company will figure it out. Until then we are stuck with IE.
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2012 09 10 - 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - I guess I forgot to update this page. The issue was resolved a few weeks later when the hosting company made more changes to the configuration of their server.

You should now have access to the logon page with all browsers again.

Tjoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Help, FAQ, and Donation Info All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: