· Search
· Statistics
· Your Account

Total Hits

We received
page views since 2007 09 03

AdTwr2

My70sRadio :: View topic - Antivirus 2009 bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Antivirus 2009 bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Help, FAQ, and Donation Info
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2008 07 21 - 3:20 pm    Post subject: Antivirus 2009 bug Reply with quote

Resolved!

A very annoying bug is making its way around the internet. I call it a bug, but yet it's actually a legitimate company using a very annoying advertising technique called ScareWare. The company did this a couple of years ago and then backed off. They are back, and they are nastier.

The company is trying to get you to buy their anti spyware/virus program and claims to be running a free version for you. It launches a popup telling you that you have been probably been infected and asks if you would like them to run a free scan for you. How convenient Razz However, pressing the "X" for close, or clicking Cancel does no good as the program pretends to run a scan. The scan actually shows up inside of a web page (usually one of MY web pages). Pressing Reload (whichever way you like to do it) almost always clears it up and gets you back to normal.

I have updated, installed, and run every virus scanner, every spyware scanner, every adware scanner that I can get my hands on and none of them can find a trace of this thing actually being on my computer or in my web site. I've done all of the manual checking that I've seen instructions for all over the internet, and still no trace. Therefore, I'm convinced that somehow a Google ad is triggering something in my browser (only affecting my Firefox browser and has not happened on my IE browser sessions yet) to cause it to run.

So, what I am doing now is to simply tell Windows to restict the site: windows-virus-scanner.com to prevent it from running the script (without preventing your other sites from working. Here's how to do that.

Go to... Start / Control Panel / Internet Options. Select the Security tab and click on Restricted Sites. Now click the button labeled "Sites". Type this " windows-virus-scanner.com " (without the quotes) into the bar and then click the "Add" button and close Internet Options. (see list below for more names to add)

This all assumes that the Security Settings for "Restricted Sites" is set to prevent the use of scripts and other active content.

I'm just trying this out now and will let you know when I'm satisfied that this is the way to go.

I think this came from a Google ad. So, until I have a better handle on that, I've turned off the ads on most of the site - a couple areas still have them because it was too hard to get them there in the first place.

List of site names to put in the Restricted Sites list:
    windows-virus-scanner.com
    antivirus2009-freescan.com (also 2008)
    windows-defense.com *new 2008-07-27*
    scanner.win-antivir-2008.com (also 2009) *new 2008-07-27*

Feel free to comment in this thread if you have continued issues with this (or you can email me: webmaster at (you know the rest), or if you have other news or suggestions for us.

Tjoe

Last edited by Tjoe on 2009 01 21 - 11:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2008 07 21 - 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, these are the companies/products that I believe are responsible for this mess:

Antivirus2009, Antivirus2008, XP Antivirus, XP-Registration.com, Vista Antivirus.

SpyHunter seems to be very closely related to this company. Do not download or purchase their program either. Although they might have been a reputable company in the past, they no longer appear to be.

I'll add to this as I find more.
Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2008 07 27 - 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm continuing to try and find the right product for cleaning my computer of this problem. I have, however, found out what this kind of attack is called: Browser Hijacking.

A program I'm trying found something in a folder that I didn't know I had, called Recyclers. It is listed as a Browser Hijacker. This is the full path and name it showed me:
C:\recyclers\S-1-5-21-924152293-2876503650-2497813179-1025\DC1.URL
I'm going to keep an eye out for this kind of thing.

This list will serve as a way of showing what programs I tried that didn't work. Hopefully this will keep you from wasting time using the same ones. If you find a program that DOES work, please let me know.

Programs I've tried that didn't fix the Browser Hijacking:
    PCTools ThreatFire - (didn't fix, and it consumed way too many PC resources).
    SpyHunter <<<<< NOTE!!! I think this program is affiliated with the problem!>>>>
    Ad-Aware (note: I updated the version I was already running, and I will continue to use this program although it didn't fix this problem)
    Spybot Search & Destroy (note: I updated the version I was already running, and I will continue to use this program although it didn't fix this problem)
    SuperAntispyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/index.html ) came HIGHLY recommended by many sites, yet did nothing.
    SmitFraudFix ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic17258.html ) another highly recommended utility but it didn't stop it either.
    HijackThis ( http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index....tpmod;dl=item5 ) this is mostly for trapping a log of files that can be analyzed by malware companies - nothing out of the ordinary found.

There are a few others that I tried but can't remember their name just now. I'll add them as soon as I find my brain.

I'm currently testing these programs:
-none- (2007 07 28 )

I'll let you know how these are doing.

Best Thing I'm Doing Presently:
    Using a URL blocker in my antivirus program (Avast). See page ( http://tinyurl.com/69r5gb ) for details.
    Updating the Internet Options / Security / Restricted Sites list with items mentioned in previous page. It seems to be slowing it down, yet I have nothing to compare it to.

Tjoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 2008 07 28 - 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way - to see just how pervasive this thing has become, do a search for the name of the popup you get (or for those named in my Sites To Block list ( http://tinyurl.com/69r5gb )... BUT!! Make sure you you are VERY careful about downloading any of the programs mentioned that promise to get rid of this bug by its name.

Also, I just noticed that these names in my Block list are showing up in various Forums as actual usernames - they are now spamming forums!!

This just gets funner and funner... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My70sRadio Forum Index -> Help, FAQ, and Donation Info All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: